Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TMB Book Club' started by Truman, Mar 5, 2017.
Book 5 is definitely a slog at times.
The twins' grand prank and escape from Hogwarts was probably the hardest I've ever laughed at written words in a book in my life.
"Lol I hope she tries to vanish it next, they'll multiply by 10"
Easily my favorite book in the series
I know we all (including me) want you to finish them ASAP so we can continue to enjoy your comments as you read them through for the first time but if they start feelign like a chore then put them down and step away for a few days then come back to them. They truly can be magical () books and stories but, like anything, if you aren't feeling it at the moment then it will take away the fun. I know I am not saying anything you don't already know, just making a comment.
Yeah Ive enjoyed it, but this book does drag a bit at times
Im going to take a breather after this one. There's a new Star Wars book that came out today that Ive been excited for and another book that looks good too American War, by Omar el Akkad . After those, I'll hop back in
Also - I didnt mention this but when Umbridge told Harry she sent the dementors, and went on that rant about people in the ministry talking about doing stuff, but she had the gall to actually do it - Does Fudge know this? hmmm
- Malfoy... That makes more sense. Im too preoccupied w Snape, lol
- Harry playing dumb. pffft
- So this thing is a prophecy? Does Voldemort need to alter it somehow?
- Death Eaters mad that Harry is saying his name and is unworthy and should refer to him as Dark Lord.... like Snape does. hmmmm
- Story of the scar...
- Also all this needling Harry about being lured by his dream. Damn, just damn. Hermione right again. Although, where are all the people that should have been in Sirius' house?
- Who made this prophecy?
- They're making a break for it!!!!!!
- They way the DE fell after Hermione stunned him was odd. Like he melted into it instead of fell like a thump
- Hermione got hit
- Said this earlier but Neville has gone from a joke to being hard as hell now.
- Ginny and Ron. They're fucked up... oh fuck
- Ron fucking w this brain tank...
- Bellatrix torturing Neville about his parents. So evil
- and it worked. Harry's giving up the prophecy
- Hell yeah! Sirius, Lupin and crew come crashing in. Letgs GOOOOOO
- Damn. Prophecy broke, but they couldnt hear it. ; /
- Dumbledore! DEs are fucked now.
- Sirius got hit and fell through he archway and disappeared. The rest are acting like he's as good as dead...
- Lupin saying he is dead sigh.
- Harry holding his own vs Bellatrix
- Voldemort his here... yikes
- Ohhh Dumbledore hops in deflect Shitty AMC Show curse from Harry.
- LOL @ Dumbledore calling Voldemort, Tom. Great power move.
- And he runs away like a true pussy
- Fudge... saw V w his own eyes and is in disbelief. So he is just a moron concerned about his own seat of power.
- And he still wants to arrest Dumbledore... fucking idiot.
- Dumbledore talking him down like a child. So great. I assume she's not dead. Hope we get to see Umbridge get perp walked out. Would be so satisfying.
- Dumbledore saying all his fellow classmates will be ok. Need more info about Sirius tho. Where did he go and why is he dead?
- Dumbledore telling Harry "it's not your fault" is like that scene from Good Will Hunting
- Also for as old and wise as Dumbledore is, it sure feels like he apologizes to Harry alot for keeping things from him that leads to Harry finding himself in bad situations. Perhaps he should finally stop treating Harry like a kid and give him the information he need to have? Just throwing that out there...
- Now Dumbledore explaining why he kept it from him. Still - not sure it's a good reason.
- And now it's pretty clear Snape really did just stop teaching Harry out of hurt feelings. Fuck that. If he was truly loyal to the cause of the Order, he would have still continued Harry's lessons
- So Snape's warning was why the house was empty. They all ran to help Harry.
- Ohh good. Harry bringing up Snape stopping the lessons.
- Dumbledore just explaining it away as I trust him, but some feelings are too deep. Not satisfactory for this reader!!!!
- Dumbledore tlking about how much he cares about Harry. yeah yeah yeah we get it. Just tell me about the damn scar!!!!
- Dumbledore heard the prophecy... Let's hear it
- So Harry's the only one that can kill voldemort. Id like to hear about he 3 times his P's defied Volde. And one cant live with the other is alive?
- V chose Harry in a way. That is really interesting.
Chapter 38 - - The Second War Begins
- Well that is an interesting chapter title.
- Fudge finally admitting to Voldemort's return. Man he is so frustrating. Would have rather just kept his head in the sand. Great leader smh
- Dumbledore rescued Umbridge from the Centaurs.
- Draco threatening Harry. Can't remember if Ive mentioned this before - Ive always wondered how much Draco knows. He mentioned before how he knows his dad is involved in things, but doesnt let him know what. Does he know how much is father was involved w Voldemort, ect? Also the weird situation where Snape favors him, despite clearly having a hand in taking down V and the DEs. These threats to Harry are pretty overt and make it sound like he knows pretty much everything, and clearly is loyal to his father. How can he and his two goons remain at the school? It's like dumbledore and the staff have been ignoring this. Anyway, right now it feels a bit like a plot hole or dues ex machina that draco, remains @ Hogwarts. However, Im not prepared to go THAT for and im sure JK will cover it
- McGonagall is back from the hospital.
- Yet here we are w her and Snape acting like Draco is just a normal student, if even just a bratty one.
- No perp walk for Umbridge, but lol at Peeves fucking w her on the way out.
- Harry trying to contact Sirius through this mirror
- Interesting convo w Nearly Headless Nick about death
- Heh at Doubledore's Army fucking Malfoy Crabbe and Doyle on the train
- Cho dating someone else now
- Ha it's Ginny's sloppy seconds.
- Twins are ballin in new clothes. awesome
- Oh yes!. Moody, Arthur and Lupin gonna have a little chat w the Dursleys.
A lot happened in this book. Must admit I hit a bit of a wall w this one but still liked it. I know it's not, but this book sure felt like the penultimate in the series. Feels like the table is set, intentions and everything else is out in the open and now all that's left is the final conflict.
Rowling really is a great writer. 8/10 imo.
As I said, gonna take a quick breather and come back in a week or so.
Truman you'll be delighted to know that Umbridge got brutally raped by the centaurs...ain't even playin
I googled Horse dick gif hoping for a funny gif about horse cocks.
To my dismay, there are plently of gifs showing women fucking horses and giving them BJs. Huge back fire
Dumbledore blocks Harry from Shitty AMC Show curse
Best iteration of this word filter I've ever seen
Didnt even notice that, ha.
Books 1-4 tell you how great a wizard Dumbledore is, but Book 5 lets you see it.
You googled that
But really Umbridge getting raped by the centaurs is actually a thing and the reader can deduce that Hermione knowingly led her to get gang raped
The important takeaway is do not fuck with Hermione
Just found this thread. 10/10 following from here on out.
Truman get back itt
Tomorrow. Lots of travel this week, so should be able to get pretty deep into the next book
I got so excited seeing Truman had posted
To me, this is grounds for an unbreakable vow. To me.
Can we not?
What'd i miss?
hinting at plot points and discussing when they happen
Seriously, just wait people. He'll get there soon enough
The opening of Half Blood Prince is so cool
Well Im glad I missed whatever I missed.
Was only able to read 1 chapter this morning. Was going to wait until I had more to post but here's Ch1. Will read some more later this afternoon.
Half Blood Prince
- The "other' minister. Is this the UK one? Cool
- It is. Cool.
- Fudge is still the Wizard Minister? How the fuck does this incompetent moron still have his job? ugh
- Cool to see things from a muggle's perspective.
- Fudge's years of barging into the UK PM's office and looking like a blithering idiot going to cause the UK PM to make some anti- wizard laws? Not that I can imagine they'd do much to affect the wizards
- Oh Fudge was canned. Good. Rufus Scrimgeour is the new one. Hope he actually has a clue
- I mean thank god Fudge was sacked. What a shitty way to start your week by learning that moron was still the MoM. Bad mood adverted!
- lol @ the UK PM's fave aid being an undercover Wizard
- Id like to know what control the Ministry had over the dementors. Obviously they'd rather run amok and drain happiness out of people than stay @ Azkaban. Ministry had to have had some kind of leverage over them that now Voldemort has worked out.
had to post another chapter right away b/c WHAT THE FUCK!
- Bella = Bellatrix???
- Yup it's Bellatrix
- Is this fucking Snape that answered the door? It fit's his description
- IT IS!!!! WTF! Wormtail is there too. Da fuck is going on?
- Is this a flashback to when Snape doublecrossed Voldemort?
- Oh man, not a flashback. Snape's allegiance has always had me on tilt. I just am flabbergasted right now.
- Oh wow. Bellatrix sister= Draco's mom
- Im as wary of Snape as Bella is. Is he legit w V or a triple agent for Doubledore
- Lucious in jail. Nice!
- Voldemort has plans for Draco. Always questioned how in in the loop his parents kept him with everything. I guess this says it all. His mom is scurred tho.
- Now Snape is taking this unbreakable vow to watch over / protect Draco
Dang, what a chapter. My initial reaction is that Snape is absolutely in with Voldemort. If all that about Voldemort telling him the plan ect was one huge bluff - it could be easily snuffed out he second they ask Volemort about it. Which leads me to ask yet again - why the fuck does Dumbledore trust Snape so damn much??? Surely he knows better. Only thing I can think of is to keep an eye on him or something. Man are my jims rustled right now.
But really tho - why the hell did Snape save Harry all those times if he thought Voldemort was dead? That very first time, he saved him from the broom spinning shit. At that time he didnt know V was coming back. There was no reason for him to help at that time.
Did you mean to say Snape made the vow to protect Harry or is that a mis-type?
Mistype. Meant Draco. Fixed.
I think it makes sense that, presuming Voldemort dead, Snape would attempt to lead a normal and perhaps repentant life. As you know, the Death Eaters for the most part, are scared shitless of Voldemort.
Nobody wants to go to Azkaban and it had seemed their side lost. Trying to fit back in society and hope people forgot is probably the best choice
Agree, but at the same time, he clearly has resentment towards Harry for a shitload of reasons. There was no downside to letting Harry get hurt or fall off that broom. Not something I really feel the need to debate, and I obviously defer to all your expertise, but for me as far as the info I have, it doesn't completely make sense.
Fair enough. Remember that Snape wants that Defence Against the Dark Arts post though. Saving Harry from Quirrell may have been seen as a way to win Dumbledore over too
I forgot to bring that up... Snape said Dumbledore wont give him that spot in fear of a relapse of sorts - so he doens't 100% trust him, but still relies on him for incredibly important missions and tasks. What the hell D?
Dont get me restarted on this...
it's probably best to not try and discuss character motivations until after you finish the series. A lot of (awesome) shit goes down in books 6 and 7 that would suck to have spoiled this far in.
Haha yeah. I wouldn't worry too much about some of these things that seem inconsistent. Remember that the first couple books were for kids and have a more black/white definition of good and bad than the more nuanced picture presented in the later books.
- So Dumbledore does'nt play nice with the new minister either. huh.
- Oh nice Dumbledore coming to grab harry just after 2 weeks of the Dursleys
- I know things are super serious now, but still hope we get the usual fuckery that ensues at the Dursleys before we get too deep into the shit
- Love the way Dumbledore disarms them with polite intimidation
- Sirius left Harry everthing. neat
- Oh yeah, that means Kreacher too - not so neat.
- Dumbledore giving Dursleys the business for being shitty to Harry.
- Wonder what this affair Dumbledore needs to attend to w Harry on the way to the burrow
- The village of Budleigh Babberton.... The wizards have the best names for stuff.
- Trying to get an old colleague to return to Hogwarts... New Dark Arts teacher imo
- Scrimgeuor used to be an Auror. Probably doesn't fuck around.
- But Dumbledore wont say why they butt heads, because Dumbledore never tells Harry shit until it's too late.
- Slughorn is a hard sell here...
- Oh this dude taught Harry's mom and was head of Slytherin.
- Or just playing hard to get.
- Finally at the Burrow. Pumped for some Weasley time.
- Dumbledore telling Harry to confide and trust in Ron and Hermione more, and stop keeping information from them. He's one to talk...
- Arthur got a promotion. Nice!
- "What is your deepest desire" "To learn how airplanes fly" . Love that dude
- Now that I think of it - wonder what happened to Percy with the Fudge fallout
- Hermione is acting weird. What's up?
- Why is Fleur here?
- Ah Bill is gettin up in dem guts and put a ring on it.
-LOL at Ginny caller her Phlem
- Percy and fam still beefin
- Harry told Hermione and Ron the prophecy
- LOL at the telescope punching Hermione
- Harry only failed 2 courses. Good stuff
- Ron did well.
- Didnt get the grade required to pursue bing an Auror though.
- Harry is the Quiddich Capt!
- Bumping into Draco in Diagon Alley
- I just dont understand how the Malfoys are allowed to walk around as if they're not DE supporters.
- OMG the Twins' sign -
WHY ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT YOU-KNOW-WHO?
YOU SHOULD BE WORRYING ABOUT U-NO-POO —
THE CONSTIPATION SENSATION THAT’S GRIPPING THE NATION!
- heh Ginny just killing all the boys' hearts out here.
- what's this dude keeping for Draco. A wand maybe?
-Harry thinks Draco's got that dark mark. im guessing no, but good thought
- Poor Harry can never escape the gawking looks
- Neville and Luna. Good to see them again. Never thought Id say that about Neville at the start of the series
- Slughorn trying to get his prize pupils together on the HWExpresss
- Harry hiding in the slytherin car. Draco moving onto bigger and better things....
- Damn. Draco got him Harry. Busted his ass up. Draco wins this round
- Tonks to the rescue
- Snape being an uber douche to Harry as usual.
- Ok, enough about Dumbledore's hand... WTF happened to it.
- Slughorn is potions teacher? Oh come on is Snape going to be the DA prof?
- He is!!!!!
- Good to see Grawp is becoming more civilized and not beating the shit out of Hagrid. And none of them are taking his class anymore
I can't help but think there's some kind of twist w Snape because this entire situation just is ridiculous, but in spirit of just immersing myself in the story - - just what the fuuuuuuuck!
Chapter 9 - Half Blood Prince... Title Chapter
Havent mentioned it, but my first thought is that it's a reference to Voldemort, because his dad was a muggle.
- Loved that ego boost McGonagall gave Neville about his gma always ragging on him
- Oh nice! Harry gets to take that potions class. Auror focus back on track.
- Snape leading Dark Arts should be interesting. Surely he'll make life absolute hell for our trio.
- Snape "yes, sir!" Harry "no need to call me sir"
That was well worth the detention
- This borrowed book Harry is using and the scribbles he is annoyed with are totally Slughorn's attempt to give Harry a leg up.
- Harry wins the good luck potion
- LOL at Hermione being salty
- Oh Ginny's having PTSD from Year 1 about blindly following random writings in the book. Deservingly so
- "This book is property of the Half-Blood Prince" ZOMG!!!! not Slughorn's help. IF my theory is correct, it's Voldemorts!!!!
Completely forgot about that "no need to call me sir" line
Book 6's humor was on point.
The parts with the OWLs and harry wanting to be an Auror is cool to me. It's wild that while fighting this massive war against evil, they are just kids in school too.
Movie 6 humor though...
Hermione freaking out about test results and literally shaking her owl that delivered it... and
Hermione's love of school will always be funny.
End of CoS
Dumbledore: "Finals have been cancelled"
I like to imagine Arthur's cause of death is from pure happiness when he was given a smartphone, or better yet, a pair of google glass/VR headset.
I believe your question has an answer later on