Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TMB Book Club' started by Truman, Mar 5, 2017.
Obviously the rest was for show, but the mirror of erised was a good stumper
Do we know that he knows he's protecting it from Voldemort or does he assume it's just protecting from someone?
Might explain why he wasn't too worried about the other protections.
Obviously the challenges were there to entertain the kids she was writing for at the time
It is certainly a kids book, but I think it came down to more of an Agatha Christie And Then There Were None influence than trying to placate a young audience.
There was pretty much zero chance Riddle could have gotten past the mirror even if he made another eleventy billion horcruxes to make himself literally invincible.
that's why he had it at the school because it was the safest place in the wizard world. the protections were juvenile but also required things that voldemort couldn't understand
Not going to lie, got goose bumps reading this. Such a great cliff hanger.
- "The Bribe" This chapter about Mundungus? Although Im not sure Voldemort is the type to bribe. More like the type to threaten and blackmail like wormtail
- Been a bit and Kreacher hasnt been back yet. DEs stationed outside the house...
- Lupin's here.
- Scrimgeour hated Dumbledore, but didnt roll over on him when captured. Good on him.
- Oh man I just thought about Percy being at the ministry. Hope he's ok for Mrs Weasley's sake
- Death Eaters are trying to frame Harry for Dumbledore's death. How can the wizarding public just think the DEs arent dangerous criminals?
- Ah so it's a coup of sorts. Keeping it quiet to the public
- Muggle born registry... Much Nazi of them
- Tonks is preggers. Maybe that's why she seems down. Scary time to bring a child into the world
- Remus wants to come along w Harry
- Ahhh its more because of the complications of a werewolf-wizard union
- Harry is being a twat about Lupin wanting to help.
- This excerpt/ from Rita's Dumbledore book...
- Kreacher is back w Mundungus. And he's being somewhat nice
- Some Ministry hag took the lockett from him. Umbridge?
- scars on the back of Harrys hand are tingling. Totally that bitch
- LOL Kreacher is super nice now and seemingly deep cleaning the shit out of Grimmauld Place
- Snape is Hogwarts new Headmaster... fucking gross
- Harry wants to infiltrate the ministry tomorrow
- Voldemort still pursuing the wand maker
- Pretty good Ocean's 11 style caper and execution so far. Our trio has pulled it off so far. Got in and have just made contact w Umbridge
- oh boy they're having to split up
- Umbridge has Moody's eye as a trophy. : (
-Ministry printing propaganda : /
- Getting cold... Dementors?
- Damn they're using them to intimidate Muggle-Borns
- Harry snuck into this hearing to get Hermione
- Oh shit Harry just said fuck it and stared Stupifying people. Go Umbridge YASSSS!
- Nice they got a lot of muggleborns out. Not sure if they did.
- They're in some random forrest. Where?
- Ron's fucked up. Damn. Splinched
- Damn. Yaxley got into Grimmauld PL. Can't go back
- Harry stole Moody's Eye. Nice.
- Oh we're in the Wold Cup forrest.
- Ron wanting them to show Voldemort respect??? da fuck?
- Hermione got the lockett!! Yes!
- Cant figure out how to open it though
- Uh oh... Looks like Voldemort has Gregorovitch
- Someone stole the whatever Voldemort wants from Gregorovitch. A wand I assume.
- Ok at first Ron was out of it, not he's being uber insistent on not using V's name. WTF is going on? Is he's corrupted somehow?
- So Harry recognized the boy who stole it, but can't place him. Trying to think who it could be. A young blonde boy. Only one I can think of is Draco, but Harry would obviously know who that is right away
- Harry burying Moody's Eye. Thought he'd use for something. I guess it's as good a funeral as he's going to get
- More complaining about mentioning Voldemort's name by Ron. I dont like this one bit
- Harry worried about his buds losing faith in him
- Ron is such a grump when hungry lol
- Oh man they're all 3 just bickering w each other. Not too surprising after being so isolated w each other but cmon guys!!!! Be friends!
- Goblins and muggle bloods are hanging aroudn the forrest. Sounds like theyre hiding out/refugees`
- Oh shit Ginny and her friends tried to steal Gryffindore's sword. But the sword is a fake. Real one's where about's are unknown. Hope Ginny isnt in too much trouble w Snape tho
- Punished but ok it sounds like.
- They whipped out Prof Black. Harry finally asked if they could talk to Dumbledore. Been wonder about his portrait for a while now. AT least we get some clarification on what portraits can and cannot do
- Last time he saw the sword was when dumbledore used it to destroy the ring
- Now they realized it was Dumbledore who swapped it out. Another indication he possibly foresaw his death coming?
- Ron is laying into Harry about not having a plan ect. How much of this is Ron needing a snickers and being a Betty White and how much is this from him wearing the lockett and possibly corrupted with being insistent on not saying V's name
- Man Ron took off. Can't believe it. Something's not right. This fuckign sucks. Just nothing is going right for our squad. Small victory of getting the lockett but that's about it. Need to start getting some wins. This is brutal.
- Sounds like Snape is having a rough go of it at Hogwarts. Ginny Luna and Neville giving him hell
- That mark Krum told Harry about is in this Beedle the Bard book
- LOL at Hermione ripping Harry for not reading or knowing Godric's Hollow was named after Gryffindor
- Bathilda has this sword??
- And we're at Godric's Hollow
- There's a statue of his family
- IN the graveyard. Saw Dumbledore's mom and sister
- Also that mark on a random headstone...
- Found James' and Lilly's headstones. Ominous quote on them
There's not really a good stopping point in this book
I distinctively remember it was like 3 AM when I got to the Godric Hollow part of the book, yoloed through like at least 10 more chapters before I passed out
I'm pretty sure at this point I let out a loud audible "HOLY SHIT"
I slept like 2 hours during my read through of DH
I did not sleep until I finished it. If anyone interrupted me I exploded on them
Read the next chapters away from my computer, so just a summary of thoughts
Damn that was a hell of a trap set by voldemort. A bit out of character of him willing to show mercy to Lilly if she had just gotten out of the way. Cant remember him being willing to do that before. Just because she stuck up for him a little bit in school?
What an awful experience for Harry to have to relive that through Voldemort's eyes. OOf.
- Fuck Harry's wand. They're are so up against it.
-Rita's book... I get why Harry is pissed but he needs to realize it's Rita. I cant imagine much of, if any of that was true. That letter could be completely fabricated for all we know. For arguement's sake lets say it's not. - just depends how you feel about Dumbledore's intentions w Harry on how that letter could be viewed.
- Moved to a muggle camping grounds Hermione use to go to w her fam
- Harry looking at that map in hopes to see Ginny, but realized it's xmas break and she's at home.
- BTW, wonder what Ron is doing and how the Weasleys feel about him bolting on his homies
- This silver doe ... a Patronis?
- Gryffindor's Sword at the bottom of this pool
- Oh man the lockett is choking harry underwater. I'd probably would have taken it off, but get why he didnt
- Hermione here to save him?
- "Are you mental??" ITS RON!!!!
- Ron agrees w me. Also how the hell did he find them?
- So I guess it was all the lockett that was making Ron act strange, but I swore he was saying "Dont call him voldemort" and shit before he put the lockett on. Im prob wrong on that
- Oh fuck this lockett is mind fucking Ron just destroy it already ron DOOOO IT!
- Phew. He did it. That was rough. Hope Ron can brush off all that shit.
- Hermione going nuts on Ron. Damn
- Dang this isnt just emotional girl over reaction about him coming back. She's legit pissed at him
- Ah Ron was able to use the deluminator to find them.
- Still wondering whose patronis the doe was
- Ron able to snag a spare Ron. nice
We we're about halfway through the book and just have destroyed 1 horcrux, and have 4 more to go... Should be a wild ride to the end. Not that it hasn't been arleady
-Well shit. Voldemort's name was taboo'd as a locator find those opposed to him. That explains alot
- Now questioning about if Dumbledore may be alive. Just as when I was 99.9% sure he was actually gone. sigh.
- Hermione wants to go see Luna's dad about this secret symbol.
- LOL at Ron trying to suck up to Hermione
- Ron bunked up w Bill and Fleur when he left. Didnt go back to the burrow
- Mr Lovegood being a bit standoffish to help Harry after seemingly being a huge supporter
- Ron also brings that up
- It's the sign of the Deathly Hallows
What? are you mixing Voldemort w/ Snape?
Voldemort is like a good 20 years older than James, Lily, Sirius etc.
I did mix them up My b. Thanks for pointing that out. In that case it makes even less sense he was willing to let her live if she stood aside instead of just killing her without thought.
I mean, to Voldemort, Lily at that point was pretty much an ant, killing or not killing her to him meant 0 difference. His only objective was to kill Harry, casting 1 more killing curse on Lily was simply a waste of time to him. "Should I take 5 seconds out of my way to walk over here and stomp on this bug or nah?"
- So this 3 brothers fairly tale. Harry's cloak is the 3rd brother's. IS that what we're getting at? (dont answer this.
- Is the elder brother's wand what Voldemort is looking for?
- Luna's room and this mural of our 3 plus her and Neville and the chain of 'friends" .
- But... her room feels unlived in for a while. Oh no.. pls be ok Luna. Her dad would have brought it up tho... I think
- Quibbler turning on Harry.... IS Luna kidnapped and using her to leverage her dad
- Fuckkkk that's exactly what's happening
- Death Eaters dont believe Xeno that they're here. Lol. Nice
- But they're still checking it out.. dang
- Hermione got them out of there. SHe's the best
- Debating of the validity of the fairy tail. Im on team it's real.
- Harry thinking he's the descendant of the 3rd brother.
- Dumbledore left the ring in the snitch!
- They think Voldemort is going after the elder wand too!
(I probably shouldnt be calling him Voldemort anymore now I know it's been taboo'd )
- Hermione thinks the Deathly Hallows is a wild goose chase and they need to keep on w the horcuxes.
- Ron agrees, but is it because he's still sucking up to her or because he really thinks so.
- Got the radio password
- Dang. Tonks dad was was kiled
- Kinglsey is the man
- Lupin is on...
- Ron said he's living w Tonks again and she's super preggo. Thats good to hear.
- Hagrid on the run.
- Lol at Fred still being funny on the radio after all this shit. those dudes
- "Running faster than Severus Snape at the sight of shampoo"
- Oh shit. Harry said Voldemort on accident, and the DE's have them surrounded ASAP
SugarShaun is right. There are no good stopping points in this book. That's probably it for the day. Im traveling back to Chicago tomorrow and I can't imagine not finishing it by tomorrow evening.
had that "pit in my stomach want to throw up" feeling when I got to this part.
was super excited when you started turning on Ron for not wanting to say it.
I'm so excited at the moment. I have loved this Truman it has made me relive a little of the joy and craziness that I had when I read them for the first time. So yea, thanks for that!
I'm getting sad that this is almost over
Truman, have you read LOTR? Will you read that for us like this if you haven't?
Ive read the Hobbit but not LOTR. Fantasy for the most part is not my jam. Ive also seen the movies and know the general strokes of it, so I doubt it would be the same.
Plus while Im glad so many are enjoying this thread, it's a pretty big pain in the ass. It takes so much longer to read through stuff, when I just want to keep reading.
Someone should do this type of thread for the Red Rising Trilogy imo.
Rest of the book from this point forward is the GOAT.
Hey can someone compile all of Trumans posts into one, I would but it seems like a lot of work
What is this?
Well, it's a trilogy of books by Pierce Brown. It's an awesome series that I think every TMBer that has read, has raved about it. It's full of holy shit moments I think would make for good reactions in a thread like this
Darrow is a Red, a member of the lowest caste in the color-coded society of the future. Like his fellow Reds, he works all day, believing that he and his people are making the surface of Mars livable for future generations.
Yet he spends his life willingly, knowing that his blood and sweat will one day result in a better world for his children.
But Darrow and his kind have been betrayed. Soon he discovers that humanity already reached the surface generations ago. Vast cities and sprawling parks spread across the planet. Darrow—and Reds like him—are nothing more than slaves to a decadent ruling class.
Inspired by a longing for justice, and driven by the memory of lost love, Darrow sacrifices everything to infiltrate the legendary Institute, a proving ground for the dominant Gold caste, where the next generation of humanity's overlords struggle for power. He will be forced to compete for his life and the very future of civilization against the best and most brutal of Society's ruling class. There, he will stop at nothing to bring down his enemies... even if it means he has to become one of them to do so. (less)
I should read that
Yes you should.
- Oh fuck Greyback is here. Fawning over Hermione
- So these dudes aren't really DEs just bounty hunters of sorts
- ah hell they found the sword
- double hell, they're sniffing out cover stories...
- Using Malfoy's house as base.
- Random, not fully fleshed out thought - Why is greback helping Voldemort. He must realize at best he'll be treated as a second class citizen. At worst put in a camp or registry or something
- Lucious seems excited that turning Harry over to V will help get them into his good graces.
- Is Draco playing dumb w identifying Harry?
- Bellatrix is a nutjob. Oh no she wants to keep Hermione behind while sending the rest to their cells.
- Oh man hearing her screams from the basement
- Luna is in there.
- Olivander too. I guess he's not dead
- Lol this dumb bitch thinks they stole her sword from gringots
- Dumbledore's eye in Malfoy's manor???
- He's apperating them Luna Olivander and Dean out of there
- Yasss Whoop wormtail's as fellas. WHOOOOOOP IT!
- Wormtail choking himself. Im ok with this
- They're back upstairs... Damn so close. Had her wand, but had Hermione w a knife
- Chandelier fell on Bellatrix and Hermione... what?
- It was Dobby! YaSSSS!
- Ron and Harry disapperated . They left Hermione behind? No way.. Can't be right
- Oh shit, Bellatrix hit dobby w the knife before he got out of there.
- RIP Dobby
- Went back and re-read. Ron had Hermione when he disapperated. Ok phew. Knew they would never leave her.
- Harry digging Dobby's grave by hand, not using magic. Huge sign of respect imo
- Luna is such a sweet girl.
- Griphook took notice of Harry's treatment of Dobby's burial too. Cant seem to rationalize Wizards being nice and treating elves and goblins well.
- Wants to break into Gringots. Bellatrix's vault
- Thinks there's a horcrux in there
- Harry was hoping Olivander could repair his wand. Sadly he can not. Dang
- But... They were able to steal Draco's and Bellatrix's wand
- Olivander doesn't know about the Hallows...
- Harry's Theory - Grindelwald stole it from Gregorovitch, Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald and took it and now the Elder's wand is in Hogwarts. I can buy that.
- Ah fuck. Harry thinks Voldemort is at Hogwarts getting it. Now Harry thinks Dumbledore never wanted him to have it, and now focused on the horcruxes.
- Voldemort opened up his grave and now has the Edler's Wand. Im holding onto my butt.
- Griphook has agreed to help Harry break into Gringots in exchange for Gryffindor's sword.
- Harry says no deal.
- Grip saying Godric stole the sword from a goblin
- Harry agreed to his terms, although not really within the spirit of the agreement. That has to come back to bite him
- Lupin is here.
- Lupin's a daddy! Ted after Tonks father. Harry's the godfather. Yay. A small moment of happiness.
- Harry wont tell Bill the plan w Griphook/Gringots. With Bill's experience seems foolhardy.
- Hermione cringing at using Bellatrix's wand. Cant blame her
- LOL at Hermione greeting someone good morning as Bellatrix
- Hermione is so bad at being a horrible cunt.
- Ah hell. Goblins know Bellatrix wand was taken
- Harry used the Imperius curse for the first time.
- Oh boy they lost their cover
- this multiplier curse on all the treasure lol
- Ok so they can use the sword to grab the cup. This is like a Double Dare challenge.
- Crap. Griphook snagged the sword. Harry has the cup though
- Fuck. He totally turned on them. Let everyone know they were there. Blasting his way out
- Harry gonna pull a Kahleesi and fly his way out on a goddam dragon?
- He did! What a legend, that Harry Potter!
- Voldemort flipping out upon learning they stole the horcrux is great.
- Oh man, he cant feel when the horcruxes are destroyed? Odd.
- He doesnt know about the ring being destroyed.
- So the 7 horcruxes are
2. Ravenclaw cup
3. Guant ring
6 Last one is at hogwarts ?? Something w Gryffindor I assume
- Damn. DE's are on them the second they pop up anywhere. Cant go anywhere
- Who dis dude helping them?
- Just the hog head's bartender. Cool.
- His eye in the mirror?
- Aberforth???? Dumbledore's bro??? Woahhhhh
- Aberforth helping harry, certainly doesn't think much of his brother. Maybe some tiny things are true in Rita's book
- Ohhh. Getting Aberforth's version of the sister's story...
- Dang so she wasn't a squib. Just a cover story. Also Dumbledore's dad wasn't some heartless muggle killer, just getting revenge for his daughter - not that it was ok.
- Oh dang Ariana killed their mom
- So it was a 3 way skirmish that killed Ariana. Could have been any of them. And Dumbledore had carried that burden ever since.
- I still dont get how someone as seemingly pure as Dumbledore could go along w Grindlewald. Even then. Perhaps they had the same idea, but different opinions on how to achieve it.
- Aberforth agreed to help him. Is Ariana going to get Dumbledore???????!!!!!
- She got Neville. Da fuck? Did he die???
- He's all beat up, but alive? How did he use the mirror? So confused.
- I guess it's just a secret passageway.
- Goddam. Hogwarts is like a school for Hitler Youths now. Fuck Snape. Fuck him so much
- Still hoping like hell Neville gets to kill Bellatrix btw. It might be the think Im rooting for most besides Snape getting what's coming. I dont want Snape to die. I dont even know if I want him in Azkaban. Something that's just humiliating that will eat at him for eternity.
- They back in the Room of Requirement??
- Yup. Well done Neville.
- The whole Dumbledore's Army is here. Seamus, Lavender (uh oh Ron), Luna, Dean
- Voldemort realized another horcrux missing. Harry thinks he's coming straight to Hogwarts now
- Ginny the twins and Lee Jordan! And Cho.
- The whole gang is here.
- Damn the DA thinks this is to take Hogwarts back. How is Harry going to get them to be satisfied without telling them anything
- LOL at Ginny getting jealous of Cho and insisting Luna go w Harry instead. Now is not the time to get jelly homie
- Ah shit. Carrow found them in Ravenclaw's room and immediately notified Voldemort
**Side note - I use to work w a dude named Carrow. Work people called him the Death Eater. I never knew why. Now I know. Neat.
Titled "Sacking of Severus Snape" . YASSSS! LETS GOOOOOOOO!
- Lol at Luna stunning Carrow and be like "oh, neat"
- McGonagall is here giving the brother shit. Noice.
- Fuck yeah Harry Crucio'd his ass for spitting on Minerva!
- Hogwarts teachers going to run interference for Harry while he searches
- Here we go... Showdown w Snape
- McGonagall vs Snape going down....
- Flitwick and Sprout helping. Snape ran and jumped away. Pussy. That's so Snape.
- LOL at McGonagall shouting down Filtch
- Shit she's summoning all these armored statues.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’ Fuck yeah!!
- What about Nearly Headless Nick and the other ghosts??
- Oh sweet. All the weasleys are here, minus Percy. When the fuck is he going to remember he's a fucking weasley!!!
- Weasley's trying to send Ginny home. Doubt that will happen.
- Percy! About damn time.
- Lol at Fred stil giving them shit, but glad they squashed it like nothing
- Lupin here too. Teddy w Momma
- Ron and Hermione at some bathroom. Getting Moaning Myrtle?
Great chapter but based on my expectations from the title, I am not satisfied!!
But this chapter is Battle of Howarts .
- LOL at all the non Slytherins cheering at the announcement of Snape's departure
- Snape offering mercy for turning over Harry
- Still cant find Hermione and Ron
- Here's Nick pointing Harry the way to Ravenclaw's house ghost.
- Grey Lady stole the diadem her mom, kept it secret for centuries only to tell Volde-Riddle. Ugh.
- And used that pointless meeting w Dumbledore to hide it in Hogwarts. Damn JK can plant some seeds.
- Hagrid and Grawp...
- I want to take time to think of this secret room harry thinks the diadem is in, but Im too engaged to think about it. What a ride so far . Room of requirement? But several people know about that
- Ron and Hermione are back. They were in the CoS getting a basilisk's fangs to destroy the horcuxes. Brilliant Ron!!!! Even was able to choke out some parsletongue to get in
- And they destroyed the Hufflepuff cup
- Oh wait, Tonks is here. I guess it's just the baby who is at the gma's house.
- Ron and Hermione finally smooched. What a time to finally do it
- Well they did go into the Room of Req. And shit. Draco, Crabbe and Goyle.
- Im guessing Draco helps him out after how Dumbledore talked him down, and Voldemort has shit on his fam, but lets see.
- ORRRR they're going to turn Harry in to get back in his good graces. bummer
- Dang Crabbe clapping back at Draco. Saying his fam is done. Maybe Draco will help out
- Oh fuck that. Crabbe tried to kill Hermione
- This fire curse...
- Harry still trying to help Golye and Draco. Ron threatening to kill harry if they die for them.
- Harry snagged the crown fistpump.gif
- Crabbe dead. Good.
- Stab that fucking thing w the fangs!
- Or just have the fire do it for you
- Fuck the DEs have penetrated the school . Percy and Fred fight. Percy with a super pithy line as he murks his old boss. Fred loves it. They're bros again
- Oh fuck no. Fred
Fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. That one hurts. Hurts bad.
God this journey is coming to a close fast. Heart pounding a little.
Damn, this is in tents
I don't want this to ever end.
Just finished the next chapter and Im going to post it instead of waiting for some more. Mostly so you can laugh at how agitated I am right now
- Percy wont leave Fred
- Lucious is all fucked up. Good.
- Voldemort waiting for Harry to come to him.
- Also sent Lucious to find Snape for a special task. What is it>!>!
- McGonagall still fighting. Bad ass
- Dolohov just barged in. He was last seen dueling w Lupin. Hope Remus is ok
- Heh Peeves finally doing shit to help dropping bombs on DE
- Hermione saved Lavender from Greyback. Funny cause Ron
- Hagrid trying to save these damn spiders. Got taken away by them Cmon dude...
- Grawp's here. Hope he fucks them other giants up
- Their patronuses are failing :(
- Luna's is working though... haha. Just like no big deal. Easy going like usual
- To the womping willow
- Here we go... Into the shack
- ohhh we snuck up on Snape and Voldemort talking
- Maynnnnnne Voldemort chastising Snape for them succeed even tho w/o Snape's help. AND - Snape pleading w V to allow him to be the one to find and bring in Harry. It's shit like that which gives me the tiniest tinge of doubt and think Snape might actually be w the good guys
- The Elder's Wand doesn't work for Voldemort as he had hoped. Is it because he wasn't the one to defeat Dumbledore? Will it work for Snape?
- Voldemort thinks so. Is he going to kill Snape?
- Yup. Nagiri is going to kill Snape?
- "Take it" . WTF is this shit coming out of Snape?
- That's it? Snape is dead? Oh fuck off that's so unsatisfying. Legit raging right now
I mean fuck off JK. fuck right off. If I dont get some kind of closure w Snape/Dumbledore, I will not be too pleased. Although this seems like he was helping Harry all along, but still FUCK!
I quite literally have a bag of popcorn heating up right now. Truman, are you going to be forced to halt soon or are we gonna cross the finish line this afternoon?
He's reading right now...I can feel it in my plums
Orville Redenbacher even sounds like a wizard name. This was meant to be.
fuck fuck fuck
This is awesome but sad at the same time that this time tomorrow it will be over.
Oh god, that next chapter.
Im on a train heading back to Chicago. Prob about 3 hours out. will finish.
Also, do you guys want me to post after each chapter or just wait until Im all finished?