Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TMB Book Club' started by Truman, Mar 5, 2017.
Each chapter. For sure.
READ THE NEXT CHAPTER RIGHT NOW 1111111
My vote is each chapter. It does slow you down but your theorizing about what's to happen is the richest part of this thread. Thank you for this emotional rollercoaster, friend.
Each chapter, duh.
Hilarious troll would be for Truman to stop posting these now
I really thought about it. Would be a small payback for dealing with all your demanding asses. Alas, I am not a petty man.
- Oh man Harry walking up on the Weasleys mourning Fred
- Double oh man Lupin and Tonks. Of the few things I correctly called, why did this have to be one of them
- Harry in the headmasters office now. All the portraits are empty. PUHLEASE Dumbledore... Show up.
- Oh shit that stuff coming out of snape was his memories. Duh. Should have known.
- Into the Pensive we go.
- Lilly and Petunia... And Snape being a creepy ass creepster.
- Petunia was a we blanket from the jump it appears.
- Lilly doesnt know she's a witch. Snape trying to educate.
- Petunia wrote dumbledore to get into hogwarts? Was she such a twat to Harry just because she got denied for being a muggle? UGH she's just the worst.
- Lilly and Snape seem to legitimately be good friends. Is this friendship what makes Snape (maybe) flip on Voldemort and become 'loyal' to Dumbledore. Maybe that story about him hearing just the part of the prophecy and unknowingly pointing Voldemort at the Potters really did make him flip.
- Now he's groveling for forgiveness after calling her a mudblood when she stood up for him when the boys were bullying him. Basically told him to get lost. Doesn't approve of the death eater wannabe's he's fallen in w.
- Adult Snape now... Meeting w Dumbledore on a hill. Is this where we see the flip?
- Oh hey I was right about that? Although fuck Snape. Was willing to sacrifice a baby for her to live.
- Hah. What a dig. "I swear I'll never share the best of you w people"
- Now were in harry's first year and snape is just bitching about him to dumbledore. All Dumbledore says is keep an eye on Querril?? ppft.
- Snape saving Dumbledore from the ring- curse.
- HOLY SHIT I WAS RIGHT - the plan to allow Snape to kill Dumbledore
- LMAO at Snape accusing Voldemort of not trusting him. He still sucks
- Part of Voldemort lives on w Harry? Whaaaaaaat?
- What. The. Fuck. Harry must die by Voldemort's hands? then who the fuck kills Voldemort? I cant even deal w this
- The silver doe is SNAPE'S!!?!?!?!
- Mundungus was under Snape's spell???
- Fucking Snape has been quarterback all this since Dumbledore died
damn you leaving out the most important line of the series.
The first thing Snape says to Harry in Sorcerer's Stone:
The first thing Snape asks Harry is "Potter! What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" According to Victorian Flower Language, asphodel is a type of lily meaning 'My regrets follow you to the grave' and wormwood means 'absence' and also typically symbolised bitter sorrow. If you combined that, it meant 'I bitterly regret Lily's death'.
The movie scene of the Snape/Lily story is excellent. Spoilered in case you want to watch it prior to seeing the last movie.
- He seems pretty at peace with knowing he has to die. How the hell is he going to tell Ron and Hermione?
- Telling Neville they have to kill Nagini. Gonna sneak off without telling Ron and Hermione
- The snitched finally opens... Resurrection stone. Is this going to save him from actually having to die?
- Oh we're getting SW style force ghosts with James' crew and Lilly
- Oh cool they're all going with him as patronuses of sorts.
- Man I can't believe he didnt say goodbye to Ron and Hermione. I understand why though.
- Oh they have hagrid... :(
- Face to face w Voldemort. Here we go.....
- Flash of green light, and everything was gone...
- Some kind of wizard afterlife?
- Dumbledore is here...
- Dumbledore says he aint dead????
- His blood/mom's enchantment is in Voldemort, so while he lives, Harry does. Harry is the 7th horcrux.
- Soooooo what does this mean?
- Dumbledore talking about how selfish he was, lied to himself about what he Grindlewald were doing. However it was all to get his family back...
- Death of sister seems to have been a turning point.
- Those who have never sought power are best to wield it. Amen Dumbledore
- Made it so hard because thought Harry would go full steam at them. Depended on Hermione to help pump the breaks
- What is that little thing in the shadow under the chair? Voldemorts soul? Or part of it?
Harry can go back. LETS GOOOOOOOO!
There has to be some way to rid Harry of that lingering part of Voldemort's soul right? RIGHT?!??!!?
I always read it as that little thing was Voldemort's soul that was in Harry and he was leaving it behind at King's Cross. I could be completely wrong though.
- We back now. Voldemort knows something's up
- Oh shit, Malfoy's mom lying for Harry. She just wants her boy back
- Forcing Hagrid to carry him is brutal
- The wails from his friends is awful I dont think I could had taken it if I didn't know he was alive
- Neville talking back to Voldemort. Big balls Neville
- Oh fuck torturing Neville w the sorting hat
- Neville killed Nagiri!
- Harry blasting fuckers. Everyone is blasting fuckers
- Even Kreacher!
- Oh boy Molly Weasley throwing down w Bellatrix
- I wanted Neville to be the one, but Molly will definitely do.
- YASSSS! She got her. Dont fuck w mama bear's pups.
- Oh man the cheers when Harry revealed himself.
- Here we go (again)....
- Calling him Riddle. Love it.
- Harry telling the snape/dumbledore shit. Voldemort trying to laugh it off. lol
- Ohhh so the power of the wand dies w Dumbledore?
- Draco is the true owner of the wand? Or was before Harry snagged it from him
- Oh shit.... That didnt work out the way Voldemort thought it would. Killed by his own rebound??? Lol perfect.
- THE MOTHER FUCKING BOY WHO LIVED!
- Round of applause from the Head Masters portraits
He repaired his old wand!
- He's he's also spread out the hallows hpoefully never to be reunited again.
Oh man... That was great. Iast chapter. Im bummed. I see the last one is a epilogue 19 years later. I wish we could have gotten more time with just the 3 of Ron Hermione and Harry in the aftermath. Feels a little rushed. I need more with just the 3 of them one last time...
It's the part of Voldemort's soul that became a Horcrux, Voldemort killed it when he hit Harry w/ Killing Curse (no THE for word filter)
With regards to the wand Draco disarmed Dumbledore and therefore defeated him.
Once Harry overpowered Draco he was then the true master of the wand.
I knowing YOLO Shitty AMC Show word filter
- Red headed daughter and her dad Harry.... Harry and Ginny
- Son's name is James and Albus
- And Ron and Hermione
- Draco and fam...
- Ron already hating on him lol
- Teddy doing well too.
- Neville a professor. Noice.
- Hagrid is still there
- Albus Severus Potter... welp ok... I approve.
What a ride and a great series. My train is about to pull in then I have to run to my basketball game. Im going to let this marinate for a few hours then come back with more thoughts.
Hope you guys enjoyed this thread. It was a pain, worth it. Also a special thanks to @canesfan whose nagging for years finally got me to read this series.
I plan on reading Cursed Child soon, but not right away. And the short stories too. Ive heard theyre not that great but dont care. All in now.
The wand magic stuff from book 7 doesn't really hold up with the previous books (dueling clubs, Dumbledore's Army, rampant use of expelliarmus)
Fantastic Beasts is what I'd recommend right away. I do want to see the play but honestly reading Cursed Child was pretty awful.
Dumbledore has never been disarmed before Book 6, and Harry is the first person to overpower Draco after Draco disarmed Dumbledore.
What part doesn't hold up? Draco being beaten before he became master of the Elder Wand doesn't count for anything...he wasn't the master of the Elder Wand yet.
Thanks Truman that was a lot of fun
But it isn't just the elder wand that does this right? Doesn't Harry win over Draco's wand in Book 7 as well?
Uh, that's when Harry became the master of the Elder Wand.
Elder Wand belonged to Dumbledore, Draco was the first to disarm him in Book 6, Draco became its master, Harry was the first to have snatched a wand from Draco in Book 7, Harry became its master.
Anything else in the event chain doesn't matter.
Harry is the elder wand's master at that point, but he also becomes the master of Draco's wand.
Well yea, so what part doesn't hold up?
The whole taking ownership of somebody else's wand by beating them in a duel.
This was really the quote I was looking for.
"Subtle laws govern wand ownership, but the conquered wand will usually bend its will to its new master"
So what's the issue? your wand doesn't stop obeying you if you get disarmed, it simply deems the other wizard/witch a worthy owner as well.
The Elder Wand is different because ownership usually involves killing the previous owner.
Thank you. This was an incredibly fun thread, maybe my favorite thread on here ever, definitely my favorite in some time.
Brought on a lot of memories and feelings. You should enjoy reading the last page or 2 of the Harry Potter thread where we talked about things.
There was talk about which death might hit you the hardest
Elder wand may have still worked fine for Draco even, we will never know but he was the only owner of it that was disarmed but not killed
The wand chooses the wizard. And while a wizard can use a wand that hasn't chosen them, the best results are going to come from there being a strong affinity between wand and wizard. Maybe wands can have multiple masters, that isn't clear.
It does make it seem like things like dueling clubs would generally be unpopular among most wizards.
Although not outright stated I think it is pretty clear they can have multiple people using the same wand. For instance after Harry got his wand working he could use Draco's as well, he never lost use of it even though it was defeated.
All in all Ollivander made it clear, with your first sentence, the wand chooses the wizard. As to use another wand that has not picked you, you must do so by winning its loyalty (disarming, killing, overtaking, etc.)
However the original selection of the wizard would remain intact is how I always understood it.
As for dueling clubs I just don't think the appeal exists for full grown wizards who would only duel to kill someone else. I don't think there is great appeal in just disarming for fun.
I was actually wondering if you were okay with a Q&A in this thread Truman
That's a good and hard question. Either Dumbledore or Fred. Dumbledore was way more shocking. George wasn't as shocking because people die in a battle, but man that was so damn sad.
Go for it
Also because I know you all care - Dropped 19 & 12 in a win for our bball league tonight
You had never heard the famous Snape kills Dumbledore spoiler?
What are your thoughts on Snape now having the context of The Prince's Tale?
Nope. After read and now realizing why these books are so popular, understand how crazy this seems. But I really never knew any of the plot points or anything.
I fucking hate him. First, you have to be a massive POS to want to be a death eater. the only moment fo goodness comes from some attachment to a childhood friend. And he only really cared about her, and was perfectly fine with her kid and hubs getting killed.
TBH - im not completely sure why he continued to help after lily died. It was clear he never cared about Harry. And if for some reason he changed and did care, he still shit on him constantly.
*** Im still processing all this and my feelings and emotions are subject to change.
Team Snape...gotta have balls to be a triple agent against Voldemort
Yes. You know what's up. Way to not let that unrequited love bull shit cloud the facts. SugarShaun
He can be a badass and still a fucking prick ass bitch of a man. Snape was both in spades
A lot of the characters were bitches though. It was probably good for Harry's bitch ass to get harassed a bit.
Forgot about Moody. His death hit me hard too. Like a wizard Jack Bauer.
Id say Dumbledore and Fred are 1 and 1a. Moody right behind them
Don't want to make this debate during Q&A portion, but we can move discussing to other thread IMO
Truman i know this thread was a pain for you because of how fast you read, but this truly was a ton of fun to experience as someone who has read the series more times than I can count. It felt like I was reading it for the first time all over again as you worked your way through the same theories I had once upon a time. Easily my favorite tmb thread in a very long time and I'm sad that it has to end. Hopefully we can experience this again with another poster soon.
I was happy to see it was so well received. Would have sucked to do this for just 2 or 3 people. Had fun. It was kind of cool to just throw out random ideas as I was reading. Usually you just have a fleeting thought as you read, then move on. Not something Id want to do all the time, but was def a unique reading experience.