Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'TMB Book Club' started by Truman, Mar 5, 2017.
Wasn't trying to come off as a dick if I did.
I was discussing HP with my wife and SIL earlier because my niece is reading them and knew how many pages OotP was off the top of my head
Nah I just had it my mind that he was more cryptic than he apparently was.
IIRC he says something like "Curious that this wand would choose you, when its brother gave you that scar."
Or that could be from the movie. But the lines are similar in both.
That's pretty much how it went
It was something like that. I believe it was close to:
"Curious, very (may have been how not very) curious"
"The Phoenix who's tail is the core of your wand only gave 1 other feather, its brother gave you that scar"
I could be wrong though
"Sorry," said Harry, "but what's curious?"
Mr. Ollivander fixed Harry with his pale stare.
"I remember every wand I've ever sold, Mr. Potter. Every single wand. It so happens that the phoenix whose tail feather is in your wand, gave another feather just one other. It is very curious indeed that you should be destined for this wand when its brother why, its brother gave you that scar."
"Yes, thirteen-and-a-half inches. Yew. Curious indeed how these things happen. The wand chooses the wizard, remember I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things, terrible, yes, but great."
- Still no signs of Moody's body
- Mrs Weasley sat Harry down about the three dropping out of Hogwarts. She let drop a little too easily. Seems off
- LOL at Author hiding Siruis' bike and STLL being amazed by muggle stuff
- Ron is 16 years old and still petulant about cleaning his room. Sounds like my lil bro
- Hermione trying to decide what books to bring on their quest. Never change boo
- Harry trying to talk them out of joining hiim.
-Hermione shuts that shit down. Enchanted her parents and everthing.
-Well Ron has transformed this Ghoul into himself as a diversion too. And all the Weasleys helped. So while she still may be in denial - that's why Mrs Weasley gave it up so quickly w Harry
- Need something like basilisk fangs to destroy these horcruxes
- Happy bday Harry! No more tracker for you
- This birthday gift from Ginny... I have a feeling it's gonna be
- Ron you cock block. Cant really blame him I suppose
- the word "snogging" still cracks me up
- Scrimgeour... Trying to woo Harry again?
- Ohhh wants to talk to Ron and Hermione too
- LOL at Hermione laywering Scrimgeour about the Ministry withholding Dumbledores will
- Deluminator to Ron
- Tales of Beedle the Bard ot Hermione
- The first snitch Harry caught to Harry
- ANDDDDD the Sword of Godric Gryffindor , but Scrimgeour keeping it on him
- Man another Ministry leader wary of Dumbledore and not focused on Voldemort. I just dont get it. Whyyyy are they so resistant to going all out to end him
- Surely these gifts have special meaning/purpose
- "I open at the close" .
- Hermione doesn't know of Beedle the Bard and Ron does? Heh funny stuff
On your last point, you have to remember Tales if Beedle the Bard are like wizard fairy tales and Hermione was muggle born.
Also surprised you just glossed over Hermione enchanting her parents
Yeah - Hermione made that point after I made that comment.
I may not have mentioned her enchanting her parents, but I def took notice. THat's a big moral grey area but I understand why. Im sure that will come into play later. She's also shown a progression to cross the line when she feels it's needed (like fucking w McLaggen during quidditch practice)
Sometimes I just dont comment on everything because it's hard ot get into the flow of reading after a while.
Rereading Chamber of Secrets. Hermione being fooled and believing Lockhart is a great wizard seems really out of character. She would be the first one to think he's a fraud and hate him for it. Dumbass Ron seems the more likely character to fall for Lockharts bullshit.
Lockhart's like a male veela
Sometimes you just dont want to see things that are obvious. Try telling a 12 year old Truman Mark McGuire was on roids. He'd laugh you out of the room.
This is spot on, bravo
Ron and Harry should bring this up every time Hermione gives them shit over Fleur in GoF
It's been a minute since I've read these early books. Rowling is lucky she can spin a tale because little of this stands up to much scrutiny
But I'm enjoying it so much
Like I said, its been a while
Yea. Hermione gives them shit about fleur so Ron responds with a Lockhart laugh.
Supposed to rain all weekend in Chicago
En route to STL for a wedding this weekend
I read a chapter this morning and was going to hold onto it until I knocked a few more out. All I want to do is sit down for a couple hours and read but that's going to be tough to come by this weekend.. It's incredibly annoying especially w monster cliff hangers like at the end of this one...
- Wedding day still no Percy. Man that sucks for the fam even though they all hate him
- LOL at the twins fighting over the veelas
- Oh nice Luna's fam is here. Hope Neville shows up too
- Couins Molly kind fo sucks...
- Tonks seems to be down. Is it because her aunts hate her?
- Krum is all too. IM sure Ron is excited.
-Krum thinks Luna's dad is a dark wizard supporter. Has to be a misunderstanding
- And put 2 and 2 together about Gregorovitch and him being a Wand maker
- More dumbledore info. Sister was a squib and seems to have died mysteriously
- Well maybe not seems to be up for some debate according to Doge
- Dang Dumbldores fam lived in Godric's Hallow too. Wait - is that the Deathly Hallow???
THE MINISTRY HAS FALLEN. SCRIMGEOUR IS DEAD. THEY ARE COMING!!!!!!
you have more self control than any person I've ever known to be able to stop right here.
It's not like I have a choice. Work and shit gets in the way...
Tell your boss
If he doesn't give you the day off, you know he's a Death Eater.
So in CoS Ron says that Filch had him polish a special services award to Tom Riddle. Odd Hogwarts would keep that around
"Develop" a really bad case of diarrhea. Problem solved.
Im going to use that tonight to get out of the rehearsal dinner so I can watch the Blues.
- fucking chaos. Enchantment on the Burrow is broken
- Hermione always prepared. Kept extra clothes and Harry's cloak on hand
- Death Eaters found them in this muggle coffee shop. Damn cant go anywhere
- Thought Ron was going to go Midevil on that captured DE but just memory charmed them.
- Harry still traced?
- Going back to Grimald Pl. Sounds risky. Hope they kick Kreacher in the balls
- Boo just a curse set by him
- Tracking harry through the scar??
-Patronus from Arthur. They're safe. phew.
- Voldemort forcing Draco to punish the DEs that have failed him. Ugh I really dont want that twat draco to become sympathetic.
- LOL Sirius defiant teenage room w posters of muggle bikini girls
- This letter from his mom to Sirius is great. The incomplete letter also a cliff hanger
- Did someone take the rest of it? Snape?
- Hermione thinks so
- Hermione challenging Harry why he's questioning Dumbledore's legacy in regards to what Aunt Murriel or Rita @the skeeter :awesome face: was saying. TBH - will all the things Dumbledore with held from Harry, I dont blame him for feeling conflicted.
- On one hand, Hermione is right like 99% of the time. On the other she doesn't really know how much Dumbledore had kept from Harry
- Well we know who RAB is. Siruis' brother. Not sure how anyone was supposed to know that with previous knowledge in the earlier books. Maybe he was mentioned in passing, but I dont remember the name
- Regulus seemed to be obsessed w Voldemort for a while.
- This room has been tossed too
- LOL at Sirius' mom yelling at them all the time. Speaking of which, when does Dumbledore get a portrait
- Mundungus has the lockett according to Kreacher
- Dang. Voldemort used Kreacher as guinea pig to set up that cave.
- Damn this story... Voldemort fucking w Kreacher was enough for Regulus to turn on him and sacrifice himself? That seems odd considering all the bad shit Death Eaters do, but whatevs.
- And Kreacher couldnt destroy the lockett damn
- Hermione is a saint. Understanding why Kreacher continues to be a shit head after all that.
- Love Ron's matter of fact bluntness. Harry trying to be overly nice to Kreacher for him to track down Mundungus and Kreacher goes nuts at the sight of the fake lockett . "overkill, mate"
People figured out who RAB was before the 7th book came out so he gets mentioned at some point. But yeah, just in passing.
I figured out Black although I guess that wasn't terribly hard
Regulus gets mentioned in Order of the Phoenix when Sirius and Harry are looking at the Black family tapestry.
Slughorn also mentions him and "not getting the set" of Black brothers
Yeah I remember all the RAB speculation between HBP and DH, eventually it because widely accepted much like R+L=J
What in particular? Spoiler or continue in main thread if necessary
Fucking half the showfags still don't get it.
I'm on CoS, so basically everything. Please don't try to convince me Dumbledore doesn't know what is in the Chamber of Secrets and how to get in.
Dumbledore has a long history of playing dumb w harry or flat out lying to him because he thinks it's steering him down the right path.
I mean there was a basilisk attacking students
And why in the actual fuck would anyone guard the Sorcerer's stone with a game of wizards chess and a logic riddle
I understand where Rowling was in this though, the target audience of the series morphed heavily (mightily?) over the course of the 7 books
I buy him not knowing how to get in but yeah, he has to know what is causing the trouble.
I remember this being a Holy Shit moment for me because of the enormity of the act of making your parents forget you ever existed and cemented my thought that Hermione was one bad Ride or Die Bitch
People forget that Dumbledore is flawed and not omnipotent, also I would argue that Dumbledore knew that it was Harry that had to face these things in preparation for the future.
How would you guard it? Gringotts?
I'm sure Dumbledore knew more powerful enchantments than "give Voldemort a riddle and a game of chess, and a broom to chase keys"
I would say Dumbledore also knows Tom Riddle very well and would expect him to be ready for any magical protection it had and not expect it to be something like a riddle that even a muggle could have a chance at doing
Also the mirror was enough protection on its own, it seems